Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dear Sis

To my unsuspecting, non-parental sister and brother-in-law,

You have agreed to host our family this Easter weekend, and we are looking forward to it. The eggs are filled with candy, the clothes are washed and being laid out to pack, and the lists are being made of everything we need to bring to sustain these 3 Tasmanian girls. I just need to send you a small warning of the days that are to come. I know you love our girls, but I also want you to continue to love them after we leave so I feel like I should prepare you for what is about to besiege your home. Your small 2 bedroom apartment is about to be overrun, overtaken, and completely turned upside down. Like the locusts in Egypt, we will suck the life out of you and leave a wake of destruction behind us.
* You will have no privacy, as our children will want to know how your "tee-tee" or "poo-poo" is going.
* You will have to adjust to our schedule with naps, early bedtimes, early mornings and demanding hungry children.
* Something, somewhere in your house will be broken by us. If you're lucky it will only be one item!
* Your food will be demolished! Although they are small, they eat 4 times a day and it takes a toll on your frig and pantry stash!
* You will not have any quiet time, unless they are all asleep and that usually only happens after 9:00pm.
* You won't be able to watch normal adult TV, as almost everything besides kids cartoons and the Food Network have words you don't want these guys repeating or asking what it means.
* Your house will be overrun with all kinds of kid/baby accessories like a pack n' play, Bumbo, toys, noise machines, strollers, Build-A-Bear animals that have Len's voice, bottles, and more!
* Nothing will stay clean. Little kid hands have a way of finding every inch of glass or shiny surface that they can leave smudges on. You will find milk dripped on your floor and baby snot/drool smeared on your clothes and couch. It will also be impossible for them to eat anything, even the "cleanest" of foods, without dropping some of it on the floor or leaving an army of crumbs under your table.
* Unfortunately throw-up/spit-up and urine/feces is something you will have to see and possibly clean up. On a good day you'll only have to clean it off a chin or bottom. On a bad day, it could be anywhere else!
* At any given moment in the day, some one will be crying! (Hopefully it's not you!)

With that being said, we'll see you tomorrow! Brace yourself for the Driskell invasion!

All my love,
Big sister Kara

PS. It may not be as bad as I make it out, but I'd rather prepare you for the worst!

5 comments:

Hayley said...

Bring It On!!! I am ready for you...well...maybe...okay, I am little scared! :)

The Stiffs said...

Kara, that was great. I love a morning giggle. Have a great time. We'll see you soon.

Grammy said...

Kara, Make sure you arrive when the kids are good and wound up, hungry, and cranky. I want Hayley and Jonathan to get the full dose right from the start! :)

graceunderautism said...

LOL at the post and Grammy's comment. I often offer to rent my kids out as teen birth control and am generally nervous about staying with anyone besides my parents. we seem to have a locust effect as well. :)

Mandy said...

Yeah. Hayley has no idea what she is in for. Have a very Happy Easter!