Let me start with the eve of her birthday. Yesterday afternoon/evening the girls and I headed over to a friends house for a play date/dinner. Due to scheduling conflicts that came up at the last minute, we didn't get there as early as we wanted to so the girls were already bummed about having limited play time. As soon as we get there little 'N' begins to get fussy, and unfortunately never gets un-fussy! It was very hard for any of us to visit much or even eat much b/c we were dealing with cranky baby who wouldn't eat, drink, or stop crying. I was afraid that she felt feverish, but didn't want to say anything . . still hoping that my older two would get to play some before we had to leave. Shortly after supper, as I keep checking my watch anxiously trying to figure out how early I could leave without an emotional revolt from #1 & #2, 'B' decides to have an accident . . a poop accident!!! I figured that was my signal from God to go home! So after throwing away 'B's panties and making her go commando in her shorts, I quickly grabbed all our stuff, we said our good-byes, and we went home!
'N' did have fever - 102 - and didn't have a great night of sleep with it. When she woke up this morning and still wouldn't hardly drink or eat much, I knew we had to take her to the doctor. After breakfast, the girls and I loaded up and went. I thought I was doing good b/c I grabbed 2 books for the girls to look at in the car. Little did I know that we would end up spending over 2 hours at the clinic! And not a fun, pediatric, kid friendly, toys everywhere, SpongeBob on the TV kind of clinic . . . No, this was a plain, white walled, CNN, one newspaper, military clinic!!!! My kids were bored out of their minds! We did the best we could to pass the time:
- I found some gum in my bag = 20 minutes
- 10 rounds of "I Spy" = 30 minutes
- Walked laps up and down the hallway pushing 'N' in the stroller = 20 minutes
- Sportscenter on TV = 1 minute (Sorry, Len - I tried!)
- Newsweek to read = 2 minutes
- Peek-a-Boo with the stroller, diaper bag, & chairs = 10 minutes
When they finally called my number at the pharmacy line, you'd think my girls had won the lottery! I was afraid 'B' might have another accident she was so excited!
So we zoom out of the clinic in just enough time to grab some cheap, greasy fast food for lunch. 'R' scarfed down her hamburger and fries as we pulled up to her school to drop her off. I managed to get 'N' to eat a little for her lunch and then she went down for a 3 hour nap! The rest of the afternoon/evening was fairly uneventful except for the cranky birthday girl who would only stay happy for a few minutes at a time. Like I said, its a good thing she doesn't know today is suppose to be special!
The only fun/cute thing we did for the big one year old girl is we stuck a candle in her cinnamon roll this morning and sang to her. She looked at us and the candle like we were crazy! This will be the happy picture of today that will live on in photo albums and scrapbooks! However, I think this particular birthday will be better remembered for the chaos that it brought!

Obviously, your prayers on our behalf are working b/c at the end of a crazy 24 hours, I'm laughing and not crying! God is keeping my spirits up! Thank you!
3 comments:
We've been very blessed here to avoid the clinics. I've lectured Ray if he ever happens to be in charge that he will make his clinic more kid friendly. Please know you can always call, I'm happy to watch the girls so you don't have to endure that.
My mantra for every deployment or frankly situation when Ray can't help is This too shall pass.
I'm so sorry N was sick on her b.d. We forgot to call and sing 'happy birthday' to her altho we did remember it was her b.d. Has her fever gone down? We keep you in our prayers. We thank you, thank you, thank you for the blog -- it keeps our babies close! N does very well w/ her walking! Hope everyone is better soon. love, nana
Oh, "K," (lol)
I'm so, so, SO sorry that your clinic is so deadly dull. The two-hour wait with testy, bored children would have had me weeping huge, salty tears...the nurse would have thought that *I* was the patient, there to adjust my Paxil prescription!
What a blessing to have three girls, even if they have fevers and inconvenient accidents at inopportune times. Those are the things you will laugh about later. (Believe me, the stories about me laughing until I tinkled as a child--also known as "lizzing," simultaneously "laughing" and "whizzing"--have become legend and are told at almost every family reunion.)
Don't make me laugh!
Kristy
Post a Comment