Wednesday, December 14, 2011

28 hours for BFT

(Warning:  Lots of pictures!)

This past weekend I left my husband and kids for a whopping 28 hours!

I tediously planned all week for this departure with details about what meals my family would eat, who would teach my Sun class, what clothes the kids would wear, gifts and papers I needed my husband to deliver for me, etc, etc.  I left a typed note for my very capable husband with all the schedule details for the weekend (and he did an awesome job!).  Then Saturday evening I pulled out of our drive way and drove away as I watched little faces staring through the window crying.

I, however, was not crying!  Even though it had taken me (what felt like) all week to leave, even though I had to drive a total of 7 hours to and from my destination, and even though I'm still trying to recover from my whirl wind excursion, I was super excited to be leaving my family for 28 hours!  And there was someone else who was just as excited . . .

My BFF, Tiffany!


Tiffany lives in Texas.  I do not.  When I do get back to Texas, time is scarce and our "get togethers" are usually just a meal together, sometimes only an hour or two of visiting.  So, A few months ago she called me, excited to say that she would be in the area for work.  Well, in the area meant Washington DC, but 3-4 hours away is a WHOLE lot closer than the usual 24 hours away!  Because of crazy schedules with work, family, and friends, Tiffany and I were only able to squeeze in one day together.  But we made the most of it!

Just to give you a little bit of history on me and Tiff, we've known each other since 5th grade, since we were 11 years old!  We made it through junior high and high school together as best friends.  We even survived (just barely) being roommates for 2 years after we had finished college.  We've seen each other through first loves, break-ups, high school drama, college life, first jobs, children (human and animal), moves, and all of life's ups and downs for the past 25 years!  Tiffany said it best one time when she told me, "We'll always be friends.  You've got too much dirt on me to be my enemy!"  So true sister!  So true.

8th grade; high school graduation; college; trip to CA in '99
So back to the weekend.  Tiff and I met up late Saturday night.  We got a few hours of sleep and then woke up bright and early Sunday morning to cram as much as possible into our one day together.

Our first stop was the National Cathedral.  Let me just say, Oh. My. Goodness!  It was beautiful!!!  I could have spent all day there, mesmerized by the gorgeous windows and detailed stone work.  Perfect place to spend on the Lord's Day.

The two little ants in front are us.






President Woodrow Wilson is buried there.  Notice all the colors on the wall.  It was the light streaming in through the stain glass windows.


Our second stop was Mt. Vernon.  Wonderful historical place!  It would be a great field trip for kids.  We toured the house (no pictures were allowed inside) and the grounds and learned a lot about our first president and how he lived.



George and I taking a stroll!
Our last stop was Arlington National Cemetery.  It was so humbling to walk amidst the tombs and graves of those who died for our country.



Kennedy Eternal Flame



Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
Tiffany and I froze our derrieres off waiting to watch the changing of the guards.  Again, we were humbled and in awe of the pride and honor these sentinels take in guarding the tomb.




At the end of the day Sunday, Tiffany and I hugged repeatedly and said our good-byes so I could drive back to my family.  It was an exhausting day, but one I'd gladly repeat again (once I get caught up on sleep)!  Totally worth all the work!

Thank you Tiffany for 25 years of friendship!  And thank you God . .  for her!

No comments: