Friday, August 9, 2013

Camp in Virginia

We had 2 weeks at home when we returned from our travels to Texas.  Then we hit the road again for another fun adventure in Virginia.

 Last summer we sent our two oldest, 'R' & 'B', back to camp in Virginia, but hadn't planned on doing that again this year.  As much as I would have loved to work at our church camp there, I come with a little bit of "baggage" with younger kids in tow.  So I'm not that much help.  Len would be the better asset, but we didn't think he could take off another week of work.  Then we learned earlier this year that he could get permissive orders to work this camp (or any other kind of volunteer or mission work).  Len put in the request and was approved!  So our whole family went to camp this year!

It was a great opportunity to go back to our old church in Virginia and see some precious families there.  (Quite honestly, I wanted to work camp just so I could visit with our VA friends!)  Len and I teamed up with another amazing friend, Holly, and taught the Bible class at camp.  We had a great time teaching!  Len was able to be a part of other activities and devotionals, while I still managed the two younger kids.  Even though 'N' & 'S' were not "campers", they still got involved in a lot of the activities and had SO much fun!  'N' had a friend there (the preacher's daughter) and the two of them were almost inseparable!  (And their names kind of went together so it was fun to see them attached at the hip!)  We sweated through all our clothes and slept with bugs!  True camp fun!

One thing I hadn't thought about when we first made plans to go to camp was the fact that we would have to take half our house with us.  The two youngers and I were the only members of our family that slept in the same place.  Everyone else was in separate cabins.  So that meant that we needed 4 sets of toiletries, bug spray, & sunblock.  Plus we needed bedding, sleeping bags/blankets, towels, & pillows for 6 people!  The day before we left I was on detail overload trying to get everyone organized for camp!  Our poor van was packed to the max!  But it was all worth it, because camp was awesome!  We've been home for 3 weeks and our kids are still singing all the camp songs and playing the praise CD they got.  Hopefully this will be a yearly tradition!

Silly songs around the flagpole each morning to get the kids up and moving.

Our preacher and camp president moving to the "Bazooka Bubblegum" song.

Our critter catcher 'N' found plenty of bugs that week!

Singing praise songs before Bible class

Devotional time out under the trees.

'N' face painting

'R' face painting
'S' face painting.  I think its a lion?


One of the counselors, Franklin, with his cool light tricks.


Bible class

Pool time

'B's cabin won the girls' cabin skit award and performed for the parents.

'R' and one of her sweet counselors.

'R' and friends

'B' with friends and counselors.

No comments: