Friday, September 4, 2009

Misc Pictures and Updates

Things are going well here at the Driskell home. 50 days to go till Len comes back! (That may sound like a lot still, but we started with 183, so 50 sounds great to me!)

Len just received a promotion to Lieutenant earlier this week. Here's his pinning on the ship. (This was the best picture out of the ones he sent me.)



I just started a small side business selling educational books for Usborne. This is a great company that I've known about for years and just recently came back into contact with. If you have kids, know kids, or just like children's books like me, you'll love them too. Check out the website if you want to know more:
www.myubam.com/D3905
(Fixed my error on my website. Seems that you have to actually type in the correct web address to get to the correct site. Go figure!)

I'm also enjoying the fruits of my garden. Check out my holy-moly-huge tomato!

I've special ordered a canning pot so that I can start canning my tomatoes. (Those nice big, cheap pots at Wal-Mart don't work on a glass top stove! Just another reason I wish I had a gas stove!)

The girls are all doing well right now too. 'R' & 'B' had dentist appointments at the beginning of the week - 'B's first one ever and she did really well. They both think "Mr. Thristy" (the sucking thing) is a fun toy! Unfortunatley 'R' had two small cavities side by side between two of her molars so we went back on Thursday to get those filled. After lots of drama and tears over the initial numbing shot, everything else went fine. We went and got Frostys from Wendys as a surviving-the-trauma-of-our-first-cavity treat. Then of course we went home and brushed our teeth!

Last night we had 'R's Open House at her school, where she got to meet her first grade teacher. She was super excited and spent a lot of time looking at everything in the room and noticing everywhere that she could find her name. The highlight for her was seeing that she'll be the TV helper first! Ooooh - Aaaah! First grade thrills!

We've received two packages from Len in the past couple of weeks. So the girls are showing off some of our new possessions!

Here's them standing in front of our new cross from Spain, with 'R' holding a bowl from Mauritius and 'B' holding a wooden, hand-carved elephant from Kenya.


These are volcanic rocks from Reunion island.


And here's lots of coins for many different places! The girls think they're rich now!


I also received some beautiful pearl earrings and a gorgeous white tablecloth and napkin set that has hand sewn designs all over it. Truly beautiful and a one-of-a-kind gift that I will treasure always!

And our littlest stinker is still being herself! Here she is naked and independent, trying to get into the tub by herself.


Unfortunately she knows that she's cute . . .


And that she's a stinker!



This is her "helping" to put away the clean dishes - one of her favorite things to do!
And for my dear, beloved friends and family that are still sweating their keesters off back in Texas, I just have to rub this in - I've had my windows open and the AC off for 3 days in a row!!!! Low 70s temperature with a wonderful cool breeze!
Happy Labor Day weekend!

8 comments:

The Stiffs said...

Congrats to Len! Ray was promoted to LT on a ship. That's fabulous news.

Rachael said...

I love the huge tomato! What do you mean exactly when you say canning them? I lost ya there. :) And, I am super jealous of the weather.....

The Driskells said...

Rachael,
Canning is when you take the fruit or vegetable and you preserve it in a glass jar. Basically, it's like I'll have my own cans of tomatoes but in glass jars instead of the metal cans that you buy at the store. It's the same thing you do to make jelly or pickles.

I'll take the tomatoes, boil them for just a minute, peel the skins off, and cut them up. I'll put as many as will fit into a pint jar, seal it with the metal lid and ring, and put it in a large pot. I will give them a "boiling bath" where you submerge the jars in boiling water for a set amount of time to completely seal the jar and preserve the tomatoes.

Hope that explains it!
: ) Kara

Unknown said...

Congrats to my boy! He's the best. Love all the pictures of my girls. They are all so cute and prissy. Kara, the only time I canned tomatoes, I had an expert (Auntie La in Tulsa) helping me. I lost all of them. They all turned bad in the jars. Hope you have better luck. We had much better luck with green beans and pears that year. hugs and kisses, nana

Mia said...

Congratulations to Len! Hope the canning goes well...there is nothing like your own tomatoes for soups, stews, cooking!!
Love your little helper..you just need a deeper silverware drawer!

The Rypple Effect said...

Great pics...boy the girls are growing up like crazy! Loved the other pics of their classes they are taking. I remember doing rec. classes when I was a kid...super memories!

LOVE YA!

Grammy said...

Congratulations Len! That came fast. Guess you're doing a GREAT job:) Kara, if you have questions about canning, call your dad. He's got all the latest and greatest canning books. Loved the hiney shot!

The Goodnights said...

Congrats to Len, you are doing a great job with everything, An yes I am a little jealous about the weather! How did the canning go?