We've received numerous questions about the decision for baby #4. Many people have assumed that this was an "oops" baby, and I understand why. If you've known us for awhile, you'll recall us saying that we were done after 'N'. You might even remember this post. However, baby #4 was not an accident and was planned just like our other three. And, many of you are wondering why. Well, let me first start by telling you some reasons we did not choose to have another child. (And it was time for another top then list!)
Top Ten Reasons we did NOT choose to have another child:
10. We had an extra seat in our van.
9. We like even numbers.
8. We just won't stop till we have a boy!
7. We wanted another tax deduction.
6. We needed more slave labor.
5. We've got this parenting thing down pat and we were bored with our 3.
4. All the "cool" families have 4 kids - a.k.a. - "Everyone else is doing it!"
3. We love cleaning up pee and poop, wiping bottoms, & potty training.
2. Kids are so easy and cheap, why not have a few more.
1. Len and I are certifiably insane.
(Although there is some slight truth to this one!)
The easiest way to answer the why question is that Len and I changed our minds. While we really did think we were done after 'N', things changed in us and in our life that caused us to re-evaluate that decision. Len's deployment was one of those big changes. Not only did the time apart increase our love for each other, but God worked in both of us during that separation. I used to say quite often that 3 was all I could handle. One of the many lessons I learned during Len's deployment was that I was too dependent on me and my own strength. God taught me to not put Him in a box and limit what He could do in my life, but that with Him I could do so much more than I ever realized!
God also put the desire in both of hearts for another baby. No amount of reason or logic could shake this desire. Realistically we knew that another baby would not make things easier and calmer in our life! We know this will be incredibly challenging when Len leaves for his next deployment in Jan '11, yet we both still wanted a baby. We talked about it for quite a while after Len came home, in an attempt to not rush into a foolish decision. And we realized very quickly that we would never regret having another child. We would, however, regret it if we wanted a baby and didn't have one.
Ultimately we see our children as amazing blessings from God. While they do challenge us and test our limits of love and patience, Len and I realize that they force us to grow and be better servants for God. We are both better people because of our children. This is our ministry and our mission field, and God is maturing us through them and for them. We love this job! It really is the hardest job that you will ever love!
So, we are super excited about baby #4! While we would all love a little boy to add to the mix, we really don't care. It will be a blessing no matter what gender it is! The sonogram is scheduled for June 1st, so stay tuned for that announcement!
8 comments:
Beautifully written, Kara! Congratulations again and I look forward to hearing the news of if you will have more pink or blue.
i LOVED reading this. wow...thanks. what a testimony. justin and i have talked about the future of our family and prayed over it's size, and your thoughts are an encouragement to me. :) take care of that little baby!
From the quote you gave us...
The Driskell family is a circle of strength and love. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger.
SO boy or girl, whatever comes...we will love and adore the new addition.
OH Kara, well put and what a great reminder to me that our children ARE gifts and blessings.
I have to point out though that you did not put on your reasons to not have another baby.....to tie with Britt and Kelli...and no, we don't fall under the "cool families with four kids." :-)
Well said! God does control the desires of our hearts even when it comes to babies. Glad "N" wasn't the last, and I really hope this one is a boy, that's a whole new adventure on it's own. :-) We love and miss you guys.
Well said. Thanks so sharing.
I couldn't be happier for you and your family, and I know what it's like to have people look at you with that completely bewildered look and go, "WHY??" I usually want to smack those people with my very heavy diaper bag, yet I refrain.
Congratulations you guys! I am so excited for you!
The best reason is always the one that comes from God. How awesome is He! And how awesome that you and Len realize that:) We LOVE that you are having another child and can't wait to hear what it is. And while we'd love to see you guys experience a little more testosterone in your life, you do girls so very well!
Post a Comment