I love parenthood, but there are some days that make me want to walk away and go back to the simple life before kids. Unfortunately last night was one of those times! It reminds me of a comic I saw once (I think it was Garfield, but I'm not sure.). The character said "I wouldn't mind taking my problems one at a time, but they are refusing to stay in line!" Some times we have to wonder about God's timing when it seems like everything is piled up all at once.
Last night we had just put the older girls down to bed (8:00 ish) and I was rocking the baby to sleep and it was looking like we might actually have a calm evening with some quiet time for mom and dad to visit or get caught up on schoolwork/housework. Len ran to the store very quickly to get some medicine that he needed, and that's when all **** broke loose! With no warning, "R" began screaming and crying in a very obvious panic. I quickly put baby in her crib and ran to the girls' room to find "R" sitting on the top bunk of their bunk bed very sick with a stomach virus. There was no way to get her to the bathroom in the midst of all the sickness so she just had to sit in it until she was done. I finally got her to the bathroom and got her stripped down and in the tub to clean off. (IT was everywhere!) As I'm trying to wash her off, another blood curdling scream comes from the girls' room. Now "B" is standing in the middle of the room also sick with a stomach virus. I get her to the bathroom and start getting her stripped down and cleaned too. In the meantime baby is screaming her head off from our room because she wanted to be rocked to sleep and all this racket had disturbed her usual calm routine. Len came back from the store and walked into what looked and sounded like a war zone!
After about 30 minutes we got everyone and everything cleaned up and started what would be one of many loads in the washer. We put the girls back to bed (by now the baby had just cried herself to sleep), and prepared for the next wave to come. Basically every hour, the girls got sick again until all they were doing was dry heaving (which is miserable to have to watch your child go through). They finally went to sleep around 11. Len and I crawled into bed only to be woken up at 12 by the baby, who ate and then didn't want to go back to sleep. She woke up again at 4:00 ate and then didn't want to go back to sleep! At about 5:30, right about the time "N" finally stopped making noises and fidgeting in her crib, "R" woke up. She went to the bathroom and then laid back down in bed and sang until 6:00 when she woke her sister up. At 6:15 the baby woke up screaming to be fed again. Len summed it up great this morning when he said "Our children hate us!"
This is our life! : )
We will laugh about this later, but probably not today. We're too sleep deprived! : )
3 comments:
Oh, I am so sorry for you guys. I completely feel your pain! Hopefully the worst is over and life will return to it's normal state. If it makes you feel any better, I sometimes want life to return to before kids even on a good day. :-)
As crazy as it sounds, I would love to be in your shoes. You have 3 wonderful blessings that sometimes will try your patience and mental stablity, but you will miss these days!...well, maybe not this exact one. But you will never forget it!
It's been two weeks since this post appeared. Please tell me things are better by now. You are making me start to worry about having a 3rd! :-)
Post a Comment