Friday, December 5, 2008

First Time for Everything

As I type the title I hear that old country song playing in my head.  "There's a first time-ime-ime for everything."  Of course that country song is about someone leaving someone else (aren't they all?), but that has nothing to do with my post.  This "big adventure" that we've been on for 2 weeks has had many firsts for us as a couple and as family.  Some are pretty big and obvious, but some are very small and unique.  So here goes.

1.  We moved out of Texas!  I've lived in Texas ALL my life - 33 years! - so this is a big first for me.  Len was actually born in Oklahoma (poor guy) but moved to Texas when he was 3, so Texas is all he remembers.  We can gladly say that all our girls were born in Texas, but 'R' will probably be the only one to actually remember much of it.  

2.  We are active duty Navy!  With this change, means that I no longer have to work and can be a stay at home mom.  This is what I've wanted for years, but I never realized till recently that teaching gave me a break from being mom and being mom gave me a break from teaching.  Now I feel like my "job" never ends!  There are no more holidays, conference breaks, or weekends!  It's like the movie Groundhog Day, yet there really is no escape!  It's an adjustment for me to get used to, but I can't complain too much because I wanted this!

3.  We spent 3 days in the car together and will have spent 2 weeks living out of suitcases and hotels (by the time we finally move into our new house)!  Needless to say no one is sane in this houshold any more - if we ever were to begin with!  I just hope we still like each other - close quarters can drive you to drinking!

4.  We have been traveling with fish!  Our two pitiful beta fish have been along for this grand adventure and I'm sure they wish they could just jump and end it all, but we've kept them couped up in these tiny little cups with lids - so no jumping!  I can't even imagine how traumatized they've been traveling in the car.  They were spastic fish to begin with, always floppin around in their bowls when the girls pestered them, so we may need to look into some fishy prozac when this is all over!  The funny part has been the several occasions we had to dine with the fish because it was too cold to leave them in the car.  We were nice and didn't take them to restaurants like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's!  That would just be cruel!

5.  Len fed 'N' baby food in the van while driving down Louisiana roads!  This is by far my favorite first, because it was hilarious.  If you know anything about Louisiana roads you'll understand the humor in that situation.  (Imagine driving on a dirt road with a million holes and bumps, or better yet, driving across railroad ties!)  I was driving at the time, so I couldn't see anything that was happening but just from listening to the rants, raves, sighs, and frustration of my husband, I was laughing my butt off!  Len described it best when he said it was like hitting a moving target while running!

6.  We came across some interesting names.  In the car for 3 days can be rather boring so one of the fun things I enjoyed doing was looking for unusual city and river names.  I found some good ones.  Here's my list:  Start (never did find End or Finish!), Utica, Pelahatchie, Lugoff, Talty, Eutaw, Eastaboga, Tallapoosa, Oconee, and Lynches.  

That's all I have for now.  I'm sure there will be more firsts as we get settled into our new house, new school, and Len's job.  So stay tuned for more.  And one of these days I'll post some more pictures too!

3 comments:

The Goodnights said...

I remember those days living in a Motel till you can get in the house, that was our first year here and our first Christmas here was a borrowed little tree that fit on the table. Those make for fond memories down the road.
Shelly

Alyssa said...

Oh how I can relate to how a mom feels like it's the movie "groundhog day" everyday. But having seen bits of the movie this weekend it reminds me that being stuck in the same thing everyday gives you two choices, lament about how depressing your life is, or go out and make it the best day it can be, even if it is the same thing over and over.

Glad you guys are well. Oh, and I laughed when I found out you were traveling with fish. I would have thought of a way to leave the "texas" fish in Texas and then got new "virginia" fish when we got there. Way to go keeping them alive through it all!

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

The fish story reminds me of Goliath, your classroom fish. Poor Guy!