Sunday, June 28, 2009

Life with Girls!

So I'm finally getting around to putting up pictures of the completed playhouse. The girls picked out the paint (with some guidance from me - otherwise the outside would have been "pink and purple with unicorns" like 'B' wanted! Um, barf!) and the outside is a light cream color and the inside is a pale pink. For their birthday they received some flower and butterfly stickers to decorate the inside walls and a dry erase board to hang. One of our sweet neighbors also made them curtains for it too. (I didn't have the heart to tell her I can't stand Disney princesses!) So now we have very, VERY girly playhouse! It reminds me of a quote from the movie 'Steel Magnolias':

"That sanctuary looks like its been hosed down with Pepto Bismol"

While I am not all that crazy about the super pink interior, I luckily do not have to go in there except to occasionally rescue my shrieking princesses from the evil snare of a random bug or spider! Other than my Terminex services I'm not wanted in the playhouse (which is fine by me!)

See the outside isn't so bad!

Pink, pink and more pink!

That little kitchen in the corner was one that was made by my great grandfather for my grandmother. 'R' & 'B' are now the 4th generation to play with it! Sadly, its lost it's doors and is falling apart rather quickly, which is why it has been demoted to the outside playhouse!

The "artwork" on the wall is something 'R' made at a party. I'm finding that the playhouse is a great place to put things that I don't want to hang up in their room!

***********************************

Last week my girls were invited by a little boy at our church to his "construction" birthday party. They had a blast at the party where they built towers with blocks, practiced hammering, excavated rocks and hauled them around in buckets and learned about tools. They were even more thrilled with their party favor - their very own plastic tool box!

They were so excited that they rushed home to fill them with this:


Barbie clothes and jewelry!!!!
(Come on, God! Is there any hope for them! What is a tomboy like me going to do with frilly girls?)
*********************************
One morning this week, I was moving kind of slow and we didn't have to be anywhere or do anything particularly early. So after laying 'N' down for her morning nap, I laid down on the futon couch in our office, which happened to be made out into a bed for my dad & step-mom who were in town. Within a minute of me laying down I was immediately sandwiched by two giggly, wiggly little girls. According to them, they too wanted to "rest". And by rest, I mean that they wanted to play on the bed with me.


So I laid perfectly still in one spot while they crawled around me, pushed into me, fluffed the pillows, scratched my back, and talked the whole time. (Is this how they go to sleep?) My hair was pulled, my feet were stepped on, and I was elbowed and kneed more times than I could count. And all the while more things kept appearing on the bed with me. First it was a bear who "wanted to rest too", then more pillows, and finally blankets because the squirmy girls were cold. (How could they be cold? They keep flopping around and won't be still for more than a nanosecond!) It was the most un-restful rest possible!


Do boys do this sort of thing or is it just girls?

4 comments:

The Stiffs said...

The playhouse looks great! I wouldn't know about the boys...

Alyssa said...

While girls may think of this as resting and go and "prepare" all the while never resting themselves. The boys would view this as a great place to tackle and since you are already laying down they have the advantage and will climb on top of you and make you wish you had never had the idea to lay down in the first place. Either way, no rest will be had.

Love the playhouse. Wish it were cool enough here to have something like that. I think it would be more like a little outside oven during the summers here.

Mandy said...

The playhouse looks great! VERY pink. I wonder if my girl will be a girly-girl or a tomboy with the two older brothers? Hmmm...

Aidan wakes us up every morning by climbing in our bed and tackling Brandon. Not restful, indeed.

graceunderautism said...

The playhouse brings back fond memories. Before mom started watching R the blue one in the backyard had hot pink trim...the one concession they would make to its paint color.

As your other commenter said, boys go into attack mode when they see a parent laying down.