Last time we did several things for the girls to help them with the adjustment. We chose to repeat some of those and add a few more this time around.
We still had the video clips of Len reading books to the kids from the last deployment. We added a few more.
We made bowl of Hershey's Kisses (also known as Mommy's little morsels of sanity) and each evening the girls get to pick out a kiss from Daddy. (Mommy however takes as many as she wants, whenever she needs it, as long as the kids aren't watching!)
We picked up 3 Hallmark books that allow you to record your voice reading each page. Len put a special message on each book to each one of the girls. They have loved listening to all of them. The sweetest part is at the end of each book, Len says "I love you ____ (R, B, or N)" The girls always respond, "I love you too Daddy" even if it's not their book! Priceless!
We used our digital frame last deployment to put pictures of Daddy on it. We managed to put a few more new pictures on there and have left it out in the office for the girls to look at anytime. (Funny story: We lost the remote that controls the frame. In the process of putting new pictures on it, which was really hard to do without the remote, I managed to change the language to Chinese and I can't get it back to English. It may be permanently stuck with "Daddy pictures" until we can get a translator to help us!)
Here we even put 'S' in front of the frame to look. His tour guide, 'N', made sure to point out who every one was in every picture! I don't think he really appreciated it.
We also repeated the paper link chain in the girls' room again. Len wrote a small message on the inside of each link. It starts on one side of the room above the window . . .
Goes over the bunk bed . . .
And over the other window and closet. 180+ paper links.
We had so much fun last deployment watching the chain slowly shrink. And when we got down to those last 10 or 20, it was like a mini party each evening!
Overall, we are doing well with our adjustments. The girls especially seem to be less emotional and dramatic about Len leaving. Experience has been good for them. 'S' has no clue what's going on and will have no recollection of these events, but we try to include him whenever we can!
This isn't fun or easy, but it is do-able.

3 comments:
You guys are amazing. I can't imagine how difficult it truly is to have Len gone for so long, but I am amazed at how well you all handle it. I love all of the ideas you are doing...especially the books, i teared up when I read that. Love yall! In case you missed it...that was a strong "yall" straight from Texas to you : )
I know it can't be easy, but what great ideas! I know it is so good for them to have those little treasures to keep their Daddy close even when he is far away.
You are all in our prayer this time around as you were last time.
Praying for you and your sweet family, friend. If I haven't told you already, I am so grateful for your husband's (and your family's) service to our country. Hope Y'ALL are feeling better.
Post a Comment