Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Day of Kindergarten!

For the past 10 years I've been an elementary school teacher. And for the past 10 years I've had a hard time sleeping the night before school started. I thought that would change this year, but I was wrong. Last night and this morning I was just as nervous, anxious, and excited as I have been when I was the teacher. Now I'm just the parent, but I'm still very excited. "R" started her first day of Kindergarten today! It is what she has wanted for over a year now. She's known that she couldn't go to school until she was 5, so when her birthday came around in May she immediately began asking when school would start. As soon as it was August we sat down with a calendar and marked all the important dates, including today - her first day of school. For the past week, she's been counting down the day. "Only 4 more days, Mommy!", "Only 2 more days, Daddy!". I have had so much fun getting her ready for school. She and I went school supplies shopping together, she picked out her first day outfit, and we've planned out different things to pack for her lunch each day. Last night I began cutting up some fruit and veggies to pack in her lunch. This morning I made her sandwich and warmed up some soup to take. "R" will probably have more food options that necessary, but its just because I'm so excited! This is fun for me. And its not fun because I'm down to only 2 kids during the day (although once Len leaves, that will make things much easier for me) but it's fun because I love being a mom! I walked "R" into school this morning and into her classroom. I took another picture, and I kissed her goodbye. Since she's going to the school that I taught at for 3 years, I know she's in good hands. Several of my old co-workers when they saw me asked me how I was doing. I had a huge smile on my face - "I'm doing great!" I am excited because my daughter has reached her goal. She is where she's wanted to be for quite some time now! I'm already proud of her, and I know it will be a great day for her!

No comments: