Thursday, August 7, 2008

Diaper Dilemma

We have a serious problem in our household. It's a diaper dilemma. Our little darling "N", in all her petite tiny glory, is an extremist pooper! I don't know how God made her to create such large amounts of feces, but this child can fill her diaper to its max capacity quicker than any of our girls! She is a champion pooper. If there was a contest on butt muscles and their ability to push out the waste with record force, she would win it!

Now on one hand, I am very glad that she is so healthy. It would be a bad thing if she didn't poop. As my aunt says, a child's first 2 years are all about input and output. So this is a good thing. However, the dilemma comes in because we cannot find anything to contain "N"s forcefulness! She poops her way out of every diaper we've tried, even the most expensive ones. She has stained numerous outfits, 2 of which had to be thrown away because the stain was so disastrous.

The worst incident so far was at the Children's Museum in Austin. "N" did her business while in the middle of feeding. She was wearing a onsie, and she ended up coming out the back of her diaper. By the time I got her to the bathroom, her entire back was covered (almost up to her neck) with orangish-brown unsolid poop! And because she was wearing a onsie, I had to try to pull it over her head without getting more disgusting stuff on her head! I used up all the wipes I had in my diaper bag along with more from one of the volunteers, probably about 20 wipes in all! Very gross! She did almost the same thing in a Pizza Hut a few days later. This poor small town Pizza Hut didn't have a changing table in the bathroom (although after our visit I wouldn't be surprised if they installed one the next day!), so we had to clean everything up right in the middle of the restaurant at one of the booths. Luckily we were the only patrons at the time, or I'm afraid people would have lost their appetite. These are the things no one tells you about when you want to become a parent!

So what do we do? Do we continue to try every variety of diaper? Do we put plastic covers on top of the diapers? Do we go ahead and move to more solid foods so hopefully the end result will be more solid too? Or do we just continue to practice and perfect our cleaning skills? (Maybe some drills at home with a timer to see if we can improve our quickness? Or perhaps drills in random places like in our car or a grocery store shopping cart to become effective cleaners on the go?)

If any of you have wisdom in this area, please give us your advice. We are open for suggestions!

(Obviously there are no pictures with this post. My descriptions and the very nature of this "potty talk" is gross enough. Plus when there is a big mess, the first thing I reach for is NOT the camera! I'm sure you understand!)

4 comments:

Shiann Metheny said...

I have no wisdom, only an appreciation for your writing style! What a great story. It will be one to repost in about 15 years!

mad4books said...

Your little POOPSMITH has forever changed how you will remember your excursion to Austin's Children's Museum!!

So funny. (I hope Lauren and Curtis don't see this story or they may delay the Diaper Days even longer!)

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

Ahhh...parenthood! I can't wait! :-)

Alyssa said...

I always found that if "stuff" was coming out, the diaper was too small. Also, BIZ is a miracle worker. Just soak the clothes overnight and then wash them the next day. That's how I saved many of our clothes. Good luck with your little pooper. Better to have a baby who poops too much than one who poops too little. Believe me.